The Cyclists' Alliance invites it's team ambassadors on an approximately monthly basis to evaluate the road races against three criteria; Safety, Coverage and Equality.
The first three safety report covers the following 22 races:
|Race||UCI Classification||Date||Total Score (out of 15)|
|Omloop Het Nieuwsblad||1.Pro||27/02/2021||10.55|
|Le Samyn des Dames||1.1||02/03/2021||10.5|
|Healthy Ageing Tour||2.1||12/03/2021||12.07|
|Danilith Nokere Koerse||1.Pro||17/03/2021||8.57|
|Omloop van de Westhoek||1.1||21/03/2021||10.34|
|Trofeo Alfredo Binda||1.WWT||21/03/2021||10.09|
|Dwars door Vlaanderen||1.1||31/03/2021||10.75|
|Ronde van Vlaanderen||1.WWT||04/04/2021||11.14|
|Ronde de Mouscron||1.1||05/04/2021||10.86|
|Vuelta CV Féminas||1.1||18/04/2021||10.5|
|Grand Prix Féminin de Chambéry||1.2||18/04/2021||10.67|
|La Flèche Wallonne Féminine||1.WWT||21/04/2021||10.8|
|Ceratizit Festival Elsy Jacobs||2.Pro||30/04-02/05/2021||11.51|
The Cyclists' Alliance has also created and provided female pro riders with a "Crash Reporting Tool" to log any in-race incidents. This data will build a database of all crash incidents and enable TCA to check if the correct safety regulations were in place and whether further improvements need to be made to UCI's safety regulations for race event organisers. This tool has been built in conjunction with The Riders Union.
Key Highlights from the reports so far include;
- Le Samyn de Dames scored poorly on safety due to unmarked road furniture.
- The new lights and audio alarms to indicate dangerous points on the course have been highly commended by the riders and have increased the perception of feeling safe on the course.
- Increased broadcast coverage has been extremely welcomed as seen for HAT, but riders were frustrated that coverage for Strade Bianchi only started with 23km left of the race.
- Covid protocols mostly seem to be perceived as better than last year; however riders have noted concerns at HAT where 'meetings outside of the bubble' have occurred.
- Race coverage is improving, most notably with; equal coverage at Brugge De Panne and Dwars door Vlaanderen receiving more coverage than the men’s race!
- Riders were left in traffic after a crash at 30km to go in Brugge-De Panne, which is extremely dangerous. These riders were still within the 8% time limit and we request that the UCI look into this incident to ensure riders are not put in this situation again.
- Riders are concerned that Marc Bracke of Doltcini - Van Eyck Sport found guilty by the UCI Ethics Commission of harassment was in the car at the race of Dwars door Vlaanderen but supportive of Flanders Classics requesting Bracke not to attend Flanders. Unfortunately, it appears he still attended La Flèche Wallonne
- Road furniture is generally well-marked and riders are positive of the changes race organisers have made in relation to the new UCI protocols. However, Ronde de Mouscron barriers were not so safe in the opinion of the riders.
- The issue on Stage 3 of Vuelta CV Féminas (Valencia), where the race wasn't neutralised despite the fact all ambulances were occupied and not present behind peloton for 30 minutes following the crash. Riders who received medical attention and were able to continue racing could not get back into the race.
- Amstel Gold race had very dangerous footed barriers along the course, in particular on the high-speed downhill towards the Cauberg but riders are appreciative that of the effort that went in to created a new circuit completely closed off to fans.
- Covid protocols and testing are still not up to standards at many races including; Vuelta CV Féminas, GP Féminin de Chambéry, La Flèche Wallonne Féminine, GP Eco-struct.
Please find the road safety report below:TCA_Road_Race-Saftey_3_COMBINED